Thursday 29 July 2010

Euthanasia for the terminally unemployed

Earlier today this blog had a visit from a post I made on AnnaRacoons Blog about Euthanasia for the terminally unemployed. I believe that it should be available more than ever. I think it is cruel to make people continue to live on when there is no chance that they will ever be allowed to have any satisfaction in life at any level. Our only choice is suicide, but there the prospects are grim. Doing physical damage to oneself is painful with the high probability of it not being successful and having to continue in a worse state. I’ve made attempts, obviously failed, and it is the fear of failing again that has prevented me from trying again; up until now.. If successful, the remains may lay undiscovered for some considerable amount of time; it would in my case.

Western culture frowns upon suicide and will punish those that want to cease to exist by imprisoning them. Having spent sometime at the hands of such people I can assure everyone that it is worse than dying. The never ending emptiness of ones life, with nothing to do, nothing to read, nobody to talk to except your jailers, or other prisoners who although nice, were mainly very highly disturbed, and often had learning difficulties. The cleaners did their best to maintain standards, but the other patients reduced the ward to a state of disgusting squalor. I had to endure this emptiness for months on end, without any hope of change. I will never go through that again.

I am not allowed to have a life that is in anyway comparable to the standards that others expect. What is more, I am not allowed to know why. I wish I understood the logic by which this world works. Nobody, except me, thinks that there is anything wrong. In that case, you can keep it, I want no more to do with it.

There is a scene in the classic film Soylent Green that would suit me fine. In this story euthanasia is encouraged and people are treated with some modicum of dignity at their end. I clearly cannot continue, so can I have at least some dignity in death and be allowed to die like this. The alternatives for me are to die alone and let my body rot until the stench becomes unpleasant to the neighbours, or I could do something in public and inconvenience many people.

A nice bit of Beethoven, some pleasant images (can I have Caribbean scenes please) and something to peacefully end life would be nice. Dump the body in the incinerator with the rest of the waste will be fine.

6 comments:

  1. Don't do this, as desperate as it might seem at the moment. dum spiro spero.

    Thoughts, prayers and good wishes are all yours. God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, hedgehog, but empirical evidence shows that there is no hope for me.

    The very people that are charged with helping such as members of parliament, doctors, solicitors, the police etc, have explicitly refused to help me.

    It is not as if I have not asked for help. It is not as if I have made requests for help in obscure ways.

    I have explicitly asked for help in very clear terms. Everyone refuses to help me.

    It is not as if what I ask people to do is unrealistic, unreasonable, or unobtainable. I repeat my slogan: all I ever wanted to do was to have earned a living in peace.

    All I want to do is work. I am not asking someone to give me a job. I just want to be able to freely market my skills, on an equitable basis with respect to others, without any impedimenta.

    I am explicitly not allowed healthcare, protection under the law, legal representation, parliamentary representation, or to provide for myself. I do not find this acceptable, but I am told I am in the wrong and it is perfectly OK for me to be excluded from those things deemed as ‘rights‘for everyone else.


    If this is the world that you lot want then you can have it, I want no more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen, the mayans believed the end of the world as we know it will be in dec 2012, that my friend is not too long to wait. That you have suffered and still suffer at the hands of this system is abominable, yet, would you not rather see the end of this system...see it all thrown down. To die before that happens would be a waste and a shame, hang on and be witness to their inability to cope, to change. Watch as they go down, be a witness until the end!!!
    If the Mayans were wrong then top yourself the day after eh! but if they were right what a scene to have missed out on seeing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Indyanhat,

    Fantasies of the end of the world exist in most cultures on Earth. Most of them are just means of controlling the population. However, they remain just fantasies.

    It is true that the oppressive regimes that have been created of late will eventually fall; they all do. One of the attributes of natural systems is they cannot be controlled over the long-term in any significant way. That is why economic policies that follow Keynes, typically of the left, always fail in the end; often very messily too.

    However, they will often survive longer than the individual. Although I do not rate Keynes over all, he did come out with some good gags. One that is attributed to him is “The markets can remain irrational longer than you and I can remain solvent”. He also said, “In the long run, we’re all dead.”

    To extend the financial analogy further, there is a trading strategy called a stop-loss. It is used when a trade does not go as expected and is the pro-active management of a position to put an end to losses. The use of stop-losses and sticking to them is the sign of a rational trader. Not following them generally leads to bankruptcy. I am exercising a stop loss to limit further suffering.

    Keynes last words were said to be “I should have drunk more champagne.” I can identify with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are going to do something exciting wear a red hat. That way I can say, "Look, I know that guy".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oddly, I was thinking about that last night, Rod. This will be the topic of a post later.

    In short, I do not seek notoriety, recognition, or any such thing. I seek an end to my suffering and I also would like retribution. The only reason why I would ever want to be identified is so that questions can be asked of those that have wronged me that may have survived, “Why did you do that to him?” or “Why won’t you help him when he begged you?” as the case may be. Other than that, I would rather remain in obscurity.

    ReplyDelete